CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Media Overload

So I have been on the computer way past my self-imposed bedtime, reading blogs. I have never ever been on the computer more than when I started this blog. I used to avoid the internet like the plague, because my throat always tenses up, and my mild ADD kicks in because I am sitting still for more than ten minutes at a time ( the 2 1/2 hour nap I took today doesn't count for sitting still, does it?) But blogs... I could read them forever, and get totally sucked in. It's just not like me...

----OR IS IT????

Thinking back throughout my life, I have been sucked in to many various and sundry forms of media. Growing up, it was books, movies, video games, computer games, and TEE VEE. In high school I would escape the misery of that time period by watching soap operas... one summer I watched SIX HOURS of soap operas a day. My schedule would start at 10:00 am with Young and the Restless, and I would keep it going from there. 11:00- All My Children 12:00- As the World Turns 1:00 General Hospital 2:00 Another World ... I'd top it off with my all-time favorite at 3:00... Days of Our Lives. When I finally emerged from our basement, my dad would make some clever comment on the glazed look I had in my eyes. Why he didn't do anything more than comment I don't know, but I wish now that he would have intervened and somehow put a stop to it all. ( and I wonder why I have ADD)

As for movies, we would watch the same movie over and over until we had it memorized, and the strangest thing was that they were usually these old depressing movies, like Wuthering Heights w/ Laurence Olivier, and Gone with the Wind ( which is still one of my favorites ever) w/ Vivian Leigh. I just don't understand our fascination with them, and why we didn't watch normal kids movies? Anywho, then there were books... I would read romance novels for hours on the weekend ( another escape) and I remember playing Nintendo at my best friends house for hours and days it seemed, and then computer games at my other best friend's. What a childhood!

So I guess I do have a bit of a history getting sucked into time-gulping pasttimes, but somehow blogs seem to have a little more meaning than some of my other addictions. It's all about progress, not perfection, right? (I would like to add that I have been soap-free and romance-novel-free for over ten years- That's what I'm talking about)

Now it's REALLY past my bedtime.

Gratitude for today

1/ I'm grateful for the chicken curry dish I made and froze months ago...I was out of dinner ideas and it saved the day. 2/I'm grateful that I took my wedding ring in to be checked, cuz the diamond was loose (again). I hope they can fix it. 3/ I'm grateful that I could get my hair done because my grays are making me feel old. 4/ I need to be grateful that I even have hair. I would much rather be gray than bald. 5/ I am grateful that I have a built-in voice teacher for a dad.. he is the best. So is my piano playing Mom. She is always there for me. Thank you, Lord for my parents. I need to appreciate them more than I do.

5 comments:

Lollygagger said...

Lily, we TOTALLY didn't watch General Hospital. I've never watched that before in my life. It was Santa Barbara.

And it wasn't As the World Turns, it was One Life to Live. As the World Turns was on at the same time as All My Children. Wasn't it?

Sarah said...

Remember when we used to play soap opera charades? Guiding Light was always the favorite! You know, I love that we were all FREAKS about soap operas that summer... I do! The funny thing is that if I ever happen to catch an episode of Days of our Lives nowadays... I can still follow what is going on, mostly.

Why is Carrie back, btw? Lolly, do you know? And why is Austin back and Frankie too?

Lollygagger said...

Sarah,

I don't know why Frankie is back exactly except that it's going to cause some problems when Jack come back from the dead yet again.

Carrie is back because apparently Mike dumped her and then she was CEO of some company that Austin's company bought out. I don't know why Austin is back. I think it was because he wanted to see if he could find Carrie.

I know this? I KNOW this!?

lily said...

Lolly..
I totally forgot about Santa Barbara... holy cow. I loved that show-- How could I forget "Cruz Castillo will be here by morning" OH MY GOSH...

OH, and II love how Jack keeps coming back from the dead. What gives?

Lollygagger said...

Do you know how often that phrase goes through my head? With shocking, shocking frequency.